Search This Blog

Monday 18 October 2010

Eugenics In Action: "Drug addict takes up 'cash for vasectomy' offer"

A drug addict has become the first man in Britain to take part in a controversial project which saw him get cash to be sterilised.


The 38-year-old, who wishes to be known to only as John, was given £200 in exchange for a vasectomy.

John, who has been addicted to opiates for 15 years and has been involved with drugs since he was 11 or 12, said the cash incentive spurred him into going ahead with the procedure.John said: "It was something that I'd been thinking about for a long time and something that I'd already made my mind up that I wanted to do. Just hadn't got round to it."

The addict , who admitted he had stolen things in the past and dabbled in dealing drugs, said that he was going to spend the money on overdue rent and shopping.

The controversial American charity, Project Prevention, was set up by Barbara Harris, from North Carolina, who adopted four children born of a crack addict mother.

The charity, which has already paid more than 3,500 American men and women addicted to drugs or alcohol not to have children, is offering the service to addicts in the UK and has set up a helpline for those interested.

When John called the helpline he had 30 days to think about his decision. He underwent the procedure on the NHS in mid-September.

He added: "It came as a bit of a shock to me knowing I was the first in Britain. I would have thought people would be snapping up the offer as soon as it came apparent as it was there.

"I won't be able to support a kid. I can just about manage to support myself. Just about got it together to do that."

The project also pays addicts to get long-term birth control including contraceptive implants.

Source: Yahoo! News via ITN.

No comments:

Post a Comment